There will be NO check-outs over the phone or email. You must turn in a checkout note before 10 am to the attendance office or have someone on your checkout list come sign you out. ONLY the approved parent check-out form will be accepted. Pick one up from the attendance office or print one from the school website.
Jimmy Nelson Memorial Rotary Scholarship Contest
The Madison Ridgeland Rotary Club is pleased to sponsor the Jimmy Nelson Memorial Rotary Scholarship contest. This year, the M-R Rotary Club will award $5,000 in scholarships to graduating seniors from the Madison-Ridgeland area.
The M-R Rotary Club uses this scholarship to encourage students to look for opportunities to serve their community. It also seeks to make them aware of the rewards that come from community service. The scholarships are awarded based on a short essay. The essays are judged by a panel of Rotarians who will not know the identity of the authors. Any graduating senior who resides in Madison County and plans to continue their education are eligible for this scholarship. It may be used toward any four-year, two-year, or vocational/technical college of the student's choice.
- The essay title is "The Importance of Being an Active Member in a Community Service Club."
- Essays should be no more than 750 words, typed, double-spaced and with page numbers on each page.
- A separatae cover page should include student's name, address, email address, phone number and name of school. It should also list personal community or volunteer activities within the last two years. A current resume may be substituted.
- Essays must be received no later than 5 p.m., Friday, March 9, 2024. Send submissions by email to email@example.com.
Three winners will be chosen: First Prize, $2,500; Second Prize, $1,500; Third Prize, $1,000. The winners will be invited to attend an upcoming M-R Rotary luncheon to present their essays to club members.
If you have questions, please contact your school principal or counselor or email Scholarship Chair Layne Bruce, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- American Legion Auxiliary Girls State application is currently open to current Junior girls. Girls State is looking for current Junior girls who have strong academic and leadership experience. They are also looking for well-rounded students who demonstrate good character, courage, cooperativeness, and physical fitness. Girls State will be held on the University of Mississippi’s campus in Oxford this summer, June 9-15th. For more information and how to apply, please visit their website: https://sites.google.com/view/alamississippigirlsstate/home. The application opens on Tuesday, February 20th.
- The Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans, Inc. scholarship program is designed to provide financial assistance to students throughout the nation who have significant financial need and have exhibited integrity and perseverance in overcoming personal adversity. Scholarships range each year from $10,000 to $25,000. The scholarship is open to current high school Juniors who have demonstrated critical financial need ($65,000 or lower adjusted gross family incoming), and they must be a US Citizen. They also mut have an overall GPA of a 2.0. Students can apply at https://scholars.horatioalger.org/applicants/ The application is open from December 1st through March 15, 2024.
- American Legion Boys State’s application will open on Monday, January 15th.Boys State is looking for current Juniors who have strong academic and leadership experience. They are also looking for a well-rounded student who demonstrates good character, courage, cooperativeness at school and outside of school. The program educates students above government and politics by providing a hands-on experience through a mock governmental system. Boys State will be held during the week of May 26th-June 1st on the University of Mississippi campus. Deadline to apply is May 20th, 2024. The cost to attend is $275, which must be paid before attending the program. The program also offers various scholarships to students who participate. For more information and how to apply, please visit their website: https://www.msboysstate.com/apply. The application will remain open until May 20th. If you have questions, please contact email@example.com
The We Care Form is utilized to be a confidential source of communication between students and the GHS Counselors for students to be able to report other students who are in need, a danger to themselves or others, or any other concerns that a student may have. Concerns that are submitted are taken very seriously – please only make a report if you have a legitimate concern! Reports can be made anonymously; however, it is very helpful to have the name of the person reporting the information in the event more information is needed. Please use the QR Code to access the We Care Form if you have a concern that needs to be reported.