AP LANGUAGE AND COMPOSITION SUMMER READING ASSIGNMENT
AP LANGUAGE AND COMPOSITION Temple 2022-2023
AP Language and Composition at MCHS is really two class curriculums in one! Throughout the year we will be reading some American literature classics, but the FOCUS of the class is non-fiction as outlined in the program by the College Board. https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/courses/ap-english-language-and-composition/course
Part 1: All students will read and annotate the book Thank You for Arguing, by Jay Heinrichs, and come to class prepared for an assessment on the reading in the first week of school. As you read, annotate thoroughly and keep a top ten list of your favorite argumentative strategies.
Thank you for Arguing: Revised and Updated (4th ed.):by Jay Heinrichs
***HERE is an example of how to annotate: https://school.fultonschools.org/hs/cambridge/Documents/How%20and%20Why%20to%20Annotate%20a%20Book.pdf
Part 2: CHOOSE ONE Memoir from the following list to read and annotate. In particular, notice what sorts of arguments the author makes and track both beautiful and well-written sentences and phrases. You need to read one but feel free to read more!
- Educated by Tara Westover:
- Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward:
- Faith of my Fathers by John McCain: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/99965.Faith_of_My_Fathers?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=HBMyUOcF1J&rank=2
- Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29780253-born-a-crime?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=RZqY509YZD&rank=1
- Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20342617-just-mercy?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=FIr8EzmP0L&rank=1
The following three books are not on the District Approved Reading list but are still excellent memoir choices and are AP level appropriate and can be chosen with parental permission. I have put the Goodreads’ link summaries to all of them. That permission must be emailed to me before school starts in order for you to get credit and participate in class activities: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dust tracks on the Road: Zora Neale Hurston: from Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58399.Dust_Tracks_on_a_Road
- The Opposite of Fate: by Amy Tan: https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/97331.The_Opposite_of_Fate
- An American Childhood by Annie Dillard: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40409898-an-american-childhood?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=w0aY0oEWHK&rank=1