Mr. Derian Knox
This will be my 8th year as assistant principal of Highland Elementary. I am proud to say that I am the first and only assistant principal that Highland Elementary has ever had. I am also an adviser for the Teacher Academy for the Madison County Career and Technical Center. Before coming to Highland, I taught 4th-grade math and science at Camden Elementary for 5 years. At Camden, I was the chair of the math department and the Advisor of the Camden chapter of the National Elementary Honor Society. I also served as the site coordinator of STARS/Saturday Academy and the elementary summer school program in the Northeast Zone of Madison County. Additionally, I was on the leadership and instructional teams at Camden Elementary and the Pacing Guide Revision team for Madison County Schools.
In addition to my teaching duties, I served as the assistant football, girl's track, and boy's and girl's powerlifting coach at Velma Jackson High School. Our Lady Falcons Powerlifting Team won the 2014 Class II Girls Powerlifting State Championship, the first State Championship in any girl's sport in the history of Velma Jackson High School. I am proud to be apart of this accomplishment. I am even prouder to say that we successfully defended our crown by winning the 2015 Class II Girls Powerlifting State Championship. Not to be outdone, our boy's powerlifting teams won the 2016 and 2019 3A Powerlifting State championship. We moved down to 2A and won the 2022 2A Powerlifting State Championship.
I am married with three kids (Aiden-14, Ethan-12, and Jaxon-7). My wife also works in education. I hold a Bachelor of Business Administration degree in Marketing from Jackson State University, a Master of Business Administration degree and a Master of Arts degree in Teaching from Belhaven University, and a Specialist of Education Degree in School Leadership with a Concentration in Curriculum and Instruction from Mississippi College. While at Jackson State University, I was a member of the 1999 SWAC Eastern champion football team. I played outside linebacker. I am currently enrolled at Mississippi College in the Doctor of Education program in Educational Leadership K-12 with a Concentration in Leadership. My hobbies include reading and traveling.
Position: Assistant Principal
Years of Experience: 13 years
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Arts in Teaching
- Specialist of Education in School Leadership with a concentration in Curriculum and Instruction
- Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership K-12 (A.B.D)
Endorsements: Business Education (7-12), Elementary Education (4-6), Social Studies (7-12), Marketing (7-12), Administrator
What do you consider to be your area of expertise?
- Math and Science Curriculum and Instruction
- Team Building
What are your goals for the 2022-2023 school year?
- Increase proficiency and growth in all areas
- Build on the Highland Gentleman's Academy and the Watch D.O.G.S program
- Mississippi Professional Educators
- Mississippi/National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics
- Mississippi/National Science Teachers Association
- Mississippi/National Association of Elementary School Principals
- Mississippi/National Association of School Administrators
- Medgar Evers Lodge # 697, F&AM PHA
- Taj Mahal Temple # 137 A.E.A.O.N.M.S
- Epsilon Kappa Kappa Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
- 2018 NISL (National Institute for School Leadership) graduate
- MCTM scholarship recipient (2016)
- MCTM grant recipient (2017)
- Nissan/Bankplus grant recipient (2012, 2017)
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc scholarship recipient (2017, 2019)
I Got A Feeling Its Going To Be A Great Year To Be A Titan! (2016)
Celebrating Another Great Year To Be A Titan! (2017)
We will do Whatever It Takes in the TItan Zone! (2018)
We are all in this Together! (2022)