Strong emphasis in technology integration
• One state-of-the-art computer station and 6 mobile laptop carts.
• Each classroom has its own ipad station, computer station, listening station, document camera and interactive whiteboard.
• Students have access to Accelerated Reader, MYON, Waterford and Dreambox.
• Weekly computer class focused on computer and keyboarding skills in K-2.Strong emphasis on arts integration
• School-wide Artist and Composer of the Month culminates and the Night at the Museum each spring.
• Monthly professional development focused on arts integration in the classroom.
• Daily specials rotation includes art, music, physical education, computer and library.
• Night at the Museum event in the spring.
• After school Drama Club offered for students.Model school for balanced literacy• Curriculum focuses on developing students as a reader, writer and speaker.
• Each day instruction includes read alouds, shared reading workshops, guided reading groups with leveled readers, explicit phonemic awareness, phonics and spelling instruction, and writer’s workshop.
• Annual Family Reading Night to celebrate Read Across America Week.
Named Generation Ready’s Lighthouse School for K-2 Writing Instruction
• ASE classes videoed for PD across the country.
• ASE hosts tours for elementary schools beginning their writing program.
Systematic Mathematics Instruction for K-2
• Includes instruction on counting and cardinality, operations and algebraic thinking, measurement and data, and geometry.
• Focuses on perseverance in problem solving, reasoning abstractly and quantitatively, and constructing viable arguments and critiquing the reasoning of others.
• Annual Family Math Night.
Model School for Positive Behavior Interventions and Support (PBIS)
• Super Titan and Character Trait of the Month Programs.
• Curriculum includes Character Education and Healthy Choices.
• Team Titan Ticket and attendance Recognition Programs.
• MDOT award winner for participation in the International Walk to School Day event.
• Annual Titan Tone-Up Program to promote healthy lifestyle choices and prepare students for the annual Titan Trot 5K and 1-mile Fun Run.
Diversity among students and staff celebrated
• ASE represents over 22 different countries of origin among the students and the staff.
• Emphasis placed on respect for all cultures and developing patriotism for the United States.
• Second-grade curriculum includes weekly Spanish instruction and an International Food Fair.
• Artist and Composer of the Month program focuses on 9 different nationalities and cultures.
• Multicultural focus for Family Reading Night.
• After school Spanish classes offered each week for students.
Highly qualified and dedicated staff
• 24 staff members hold advanced degrees in education and/or are Nationally Board Certified.
• Low student to teacher ratio.
• Each class has a certified teacher and assistant.
• Staff includes nurse, literacy specialist, 2 speech language pathologists, 2 ELL teachers, 4 special education teachers and a gifted teacher.
Active PTO and Community Involvement