Location: 820 Sulphur Springs Road in Canton, MS.
Principal: Mr. Kelvin Griffin
Counselor: Ms. Sonia Jones
Secretary: Ms. Shirley Smith
Data Clerk: Ms. Diane Lyles
- Enrollment: 171 (as of 3/1/18)
- School Day Hours: 7:00-2:45
- Some of our extra-curricular activities include: Football, Basketball, Cheer, Dance, Track, Band, Choir, Drama, TSA, SGA, Social Science Club, & Math Club
Madison County School District and SSMS take great pride in the variety of courses made available to your student body. Beyond the basics,we also offer Spanish I, STEM, and ICT I/II. We are excited to be able to offer these courses where students have the opportunity to earn Carnegie units toward high school graduation. SSMS offers electives such as creative writing, drama,art, band, choir, and Pathways. A large number of our students participate in various team sports, including basketball, football, cheer, track, and dance. We have various clubs, such as Student Government Association, Science Club and Technology Student Association.
School hours: 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- From I-55 North, take the Canton exit onto W. Peace St.
- Travel east past Canton Square to Hwy. 16 and Hwy. 43 intersection
- Turn left on Hwy 43.
- Continue to follow Hwy. 43 through Sharon and towards Camden. (Landmark- Watch for a church on your right. Once you pass the church start watching fora large green road sign that has Northeast Madison Middle School on it.
- Turn Right just pass the green sign on Sulphur Springs Rd.
- Follow Sulphur Springs Rd. for approximately 6 miles.
- Arrive at Shirley D. Simmons Middle School, on the left
The mission of SSMS is to provide a diverse education within a safe and orderly environment through a challenging curriculum that will enhance the students' critical thinking skills and help develop them into morally responsible and socially equipped individuals as they transition from childhood to adolescence.
Preparing students for a global and complex society has never been more challenging. The faculty of SSMS is ready for the task! The focus is on student achievement and excellence is our goal. Nothing less than our very best is acceptable. Every day every teacher at SSMS should put forth their greatest effort to make a positive difference in the life of every student with whom they encounter.
Please contact us for more information at 601.855.2406