The ASE Library
Library Media Program:
The mission of the Ann Smith Elementary Library Media Program is to ensure that students are effective users of ideas and information. The library media center strives to provide the school community with a wide range of materials on appropriate levels of difficulty to create lifelong readers, critical thinkers, skillful researchers, and ethical users and producers of information in a global society.
The goals of the media specialists are:
1. To teach students to access, evaluate, and use information.
2. To maintain a well-balanced collection of media appropriate to the needs of the school.
3. To provide assistance in locating the using instructional materials.
4. To promote instruction in information literacy to students and faculty.
5. To provide instructional materials that will stimulate growth in factual knowledge and literary appreciation.
6. To manage a planned program and ensure a welcoming environment.
• Students have 35-minute library sessions. Sessions include check out/check in, a read-aloud, short reading skills/library lessons, and computer/listening/reading and maker space stations.
• Read-alouds are grade-level, curriculum-based and for reading enjoyment.
• Students are allowed to choose one book per week.Second graders may check out 2 books. No library fines are charged unless a book is lost or damaged.
Accelerated Reader (AR) Program:
• AR is an individualized computerized reading program that is non-competitive and used for reading enrichment. It is an excellent means to motivate children to read.
• AR books are labeled on each book label for easy access.
• Prizes are awarded in the librabry when students reach their quarterly goal.
• The Scholastic book fair is held in February or March and is coordinated by the library. It is a week long event in which students, teachers, parents, and grandparents have the opportunity to browse through and purchase a wide variety of reading materials from Scholastic Book Company. Various events are held throughout the week including Donuts with Dad, Muffins with Mom, Grandparents Day, and Family Night. Dates and times for events will be released in January of each year. Proceeds raised benefit the library and classrooms of ASE.