Help your child tap into the grounding power of their senses. Try the 5-4-3-2-1 activity: (Cares Center UCLA)
- Name 5 things you can see around you right now
- Name 4 things you can touch around you right now
- Name 3 things you can hear around you right now
- Name 2 things you can taste around you right now
- Name 1 thing you can smell around you right now
25 Mindfulness Activities for Kids and Teens (Positive Psychology)
Kids Health: Stress (3rd-8th read-aloud, available in Spanish) This web page provides information and guidance on how to identify stressors and cope with them. (Nemours Foundation).
Be Calm, Be Kind, Be Safe: 3 Ways to Help Teens Thrive (Heart Mind Online)
Soothing Sensory Video (swirling oil, water, and paint to music) Heart-Mind Online
Relaxation Exercises: Breathing Basics. Guided online exercises to help you relax (available in Spanish; read-aloud) TeenHealth
ACT Youth Network: Got Stress? This section of ACT for Youth's website for young people helps youth explore the purpose of stress, stress signals, coping strategies, and ways to reduce stress.