September 16, 2019
The word of the day is tractable, which means (adj) easily controlled. Here’s a sentence: Tractable dogs that have had some obedience training are often the best guard dogs.
- It's that time again! Time for the annual Food for Families Canned Food Drive. Our Canned Food Drive will take place Monday, September 16th to Friday, September 20th. A basic guideline: Canned vegetables, soups, fruits, and beef stew are encouraged. Vienna Sausage, Tuna, and Tomato Sauce are also needed. Macaroni and Cheese is acceptable. Ramen Noodles will not be accepted, as well as flour, any type of bagged food, or glass items are acceptable. General rule – if it can break or bust open it won’t count. In the mornings students need to bring their cans to the cafetorium as soon as they get to school. Cans will be accepted from 7:45 to the first bell each day except for FRIDAY - THE CUT OFF TIME FOR ALL COLLECTIONS ON FRIDAY IS 10:00 am. We will not take anything “for credit” after 10:00.
- Interact Club will have an interest meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 17th in room 194 at 7:50. Interact is a service club and it is the high school branch of the Rotary Club. All students are invited to attend this meeting, and you will get information about joining. You will have lots of opportunities for community service, and this will look great on your resume. We will be working with Toys for Tots, Operation Christmas Child, projects and cards for the V. A. Medical Center, Baptist Children's Village and Sunnybrook Children's Home. If you missed the meeting, come by and pick up information.
- Chess club will hold an interest meeting Wednesday, September 18th in Mr. Sallis's room (233) from 3:35-4:15.
- Mississippi Governor’s School is a tuition-free residential honors program that offers uniquely creative academic and leadership experiences to students with exceptional abilities and achievements. Information needed to apply can be found in Student Services.
- Makeup pictures will be Thursday, September 19. A list of students will be emailed to teachers. When called, please allow these students to come to the commons for school pictures and/or ID badges. This will be the last time Vowell Photography will be on campus for underclassmen pictures and ID badges. Email Mrs. Williams with questions: email@example.com.
- Registration for the PSAT and all AP exams will begin on Wednesday, September 11 and continue through Friday, October 4. The cost of the PSAT is $17, and the cost of each AP exam is $94. Payment and registration may be done online any time of the day during the window of September 11 through October 4 through the My School Bucks link on the MCHS website. PLEASE BE SURE TO ENTER THE STUDENT’S NAME WHEN USING MY SCHOOL BUCKS. Payment and registration may be done in person at the concessions stand in the commons area at MCHS11:45 AM – 1:45 PM every Wednesday and Friday during the window of September 11 through October 4. PLEASE NOTE THAT FEES FOR THE PSAT AND AP EXAMS ARE NONREFUNDABLE.
- We still have spots available in Cooking Club. The fee for this club is $15 and can be paid on MySchoolBucks or to Mr. Edwards (187) or Mr. Stanford (234). Please talk to Ms. Barger, Mr. Edwards, or Mr. Stanford if you would like more information on this club. Please sign up this week. Bon appetite!
- If you were unable to attend the meeting on Wednesday, September 4th and are interested in joining the Art Club please see Ms. Baskin or Mrs. Ainsworth in Room 229.
- Payment: $50 fee and Technology Agreement form will be accepted during lunch ONLY (Front Office). Device Distribution (Library): 7:45 AM-8:00 AM (Car Riders) and 8:00-8:20 AM (Bus Riders).
College and Scholarship Opportunities:
- Join us for the annual College Fair -- Thursday , Sept 19 5:30-7:30 pm in the Commons. Representatives from 50 colleges and branches of military will be here!
For information regarding scholarships click here.
Have a great day!