What To Practice
· Warm-Up using the same warm-up you use in class.
· Remember to use good posture, hand position, embouchure, and breath support.
· Class Assignments
- Look up fingerings you don’t know
- Count the rhythms before you play it
· Play other pages in the book that you have already learned, especially the songs that you like!
· Complete each session by making sure your instrument is clean.
How To Practice
· Select a time of day that will be free of distractions and interruptions.
· Choose a place where there will be freedom from distractions.
· Do not practice in front of the T.V.
· Be self-critical! Isolate difficult passages or exercises and work on them using the following suggestions:
- Slow it down
- Play the section until you can play the passage 3 times in a row perfectly, then gradually increase the speed.
- Repeat over and over at tempo, but only if the repetition is correct!!!
- Never try to develop speed at the expense of accuracy. Practice Slowly!!! Be Accurate!!!
· Short and frequent sessions are better than one or two long home practice sessions.
· Every individual does not have to practice the same amount of time. Work for results—not time on the clock.