Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Who do I call to report issues with my child's bus transportation?
A. First Student is the contract provider of bus service for Madison County schools. We urge you to promptly report any and all concerns or problems to them at 601-859-1633.
Q. Is the school prepared for emergency situations?
A. Your child's safety is very important which is why Madison County schools practice safety drills. In a FIRE DRILL, students learn how to walk out of the school building quietly and quickly with their teacher. Students return to class when the fire drill is finished. Mississippi sometimes has tornadoes (rain storms with strong winds producing funnel clouds). In a TORNADO DRILL, students learn where to go in the building to protect themselves by kneeling on the floor and covering their heads.
Should weather ever become serious enough to warrant cancellation or dismissal of school, that decision would be made by our school superintendent and an announcement would be published to all news agencies as soon as it becomes available. Please check your local television station or radio as well as this website for the latest information.
Q. How do I stay in contact with my child's teacher?
A. There are several different means of staying in contact with your child's teacher:
- First and foremost, stay in constant communication with your child. That will help you stay informed so you can stay better connected with your child's teacher and classroom. It will also help you know how to answer your teacher's questions when you do talk with them.
- Your child has a Highland daily assignment book which you should be signing every day. You can write notes back and forth to your child's teacher in these assignment books.
- If you prefer your communication to be more private, you can write a note and put it in an envelope and let your child put it in his daily folder to turn in to his/her teacher.
- You can email your teacher. Check your teacher's profile under the "Our School" section to see if they have an email address available.
- You can call your teacher at 601-853-8103 and leave a message on her voice mail for her to call you back at her break time or after school hours or to set up a parent/teacher conference.
Q. Who do I call to report an issue I'm having with my child's bus?
A. First, please make sure that our school administration is aware of your problem so that a proper report is filled out.
Secondly, questions regarding school transportation can be directed to First Student which is the contract service for buses in Madison County (601-859-1633).
Q. How much are meals in the cafeteria?
A. Menu Prices:
Full Price Student: $1.50
Reduced Price: $.30
Full Price Student: $2.50
Reduced Price Student: $.40
Adult Price: $3.00
Q. My family and I are new to the area and we are lost!! Can you help?
A. First, welcome to Highland!
Second, please check out the Welcome to Ridgeland section which is a resource section that the Highland PTO has set up specifically for parents like yourself.
Q. How do I know what is going on in my child's classroom?
A. Check the backpack! Our teachers communicate with you in many different ways, but one of their primary forms of communication is through their daily folders and Thursday papers. Highland is a big proponent of the parent/child/teacher triangle. Our students need for the home and school connection to be strong and for that to happen, we as parents need to stay informed by reading the daily things sent home in backpacks.
Q. May I eat lunch with my child?
A. Definitely! Parents are welcome to eat lunch with their child during their class lunch period. Please remember that, according to state law, fast food and carbonated beverages are not allowed in the cafeteria. You are welcome to bring a sack lunch or to purchase a meal from our cafeteria. Adult meals can be purchased for $3.00.
Q. May I change the way my child goes home?
A. Sure! However, all changes must be received in written form by your teacher first thing in the morning or over the phone by our office staff (601-853-8103) before 1:30 in the afternoon. We realize that things happen during the day that require you to change transportation methods; however, if this should happen, please let our office staff know before the 1:30 deadline.
For your convenience, there is a Change of Transportation form in the "Downloads" section of Resources. Simply fill this out and send it to your child's teacher.
Q. What time does school start?
A. HES starts at 7:30 AM.... at 7:31 AM your child is tardy and therefore you will need to walk inside with your child and sign him/her in.